Good morning! Here are 10 things you need to know this morning:
1.Popular pharmacist and an entrepreneur, Mr. Jimi Agbaje, on Monday emerged as the PDP governorship candidate for Lagos State. Agbaje defeated one of the most popular aspirants and a former Minister of State for Defence, Musiliu Obanikoro,by polling 432 of 836 votes. Obanikoro on the other hand polled 346 votes.
2. The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, has faulted the just concluded primaries of the APC, asserting that the winners who emerged from the primaries were clearly expired politicians that will have nothing to offer. This was contained in a statement posted on the party’s facebook page.
3. The Governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress in Kaduna State, Mallam Nasir el-Rufai, has said that the Peoples Democratic Party of today was a “criminal” party. El-Rufai claimed that the PDP of old which he was part of was totally different from the present PDP under the watch of President Jonathan. He said the party has no regard for the law under the present dispensation. 4
Report says a 24-year-old housemaid, identified only as Juliet has abducted the two children of a family she was serving at Gateway Crescent in the Magodo, Isheri area of Lagos State. The maid has reportedly fled home with the kids –Rafael (3), and 15-month-old Michael. The incident happened on Sunday evening after their parents went out around 6pm.
5. The Russian cargo aircraft which was intercepted by operatives of the Nigerian Air Force at the Mallam Aminu Kano International Airport, Kano on Saturday has been released by the Federal Government. Announcing the release, the Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Adesola Amosu said the decision was taken based on a clearance with the French Government that the content of the aircraft belonged to the French military.
6. Report says the Nigerian Army have rounded up cameramen believed to be working for the media arm of the Boko Haram sect in Adamawa State. It was further revealed that those arrested were responsible for both filming and taking of photographs during different attacks on communities in the north by the insurgents.
7. The Nigerian Prison Service has said that out of the 275 that escaped from the Medium Security Prison, Minna, Niger State, last week, 108 have been recaptured. The NPS disclosed that the feat was made possible through the combined efforts of the Nigerian Army, the police, the Department of State Services and prison personnel. Report says about 166 others still remain at large.
8. Nigerian Labour Congress, NLC, has called on the Federal Government to reduce the pump price of petroleum products to suit the current fall in crude prices in the international market. The NLC gave the order at an interactive session with journalists.
9. The Nigerian Army announced yesterday that it has fully taken over Mubi, Gombi, Maiha and Hong local government areas of Adamawa State. It also released photos showing that the areas formerly under the control of the insurgents have been recaptured.
10. Past Minister of State for Defence, Senator Musiliu Obanikoro and a leading governorship aspirant of the Peoples Democratic Party, who lost in the Lagos primaries yesterday, has said that the exercise was a sham, saying he will challenge the outcome of the primaries. My Credits goes to Daily Post